Trump Claims White House Ballroom Is Free For Taxpayers (Again)—Despite Other Evidence

Topline

President Donald Trump on Saturday hailed his ongoing White House ballroom project—after the Supreme Court temporarily allowed construction to continue on Friday—as ahead of schedule, under budget and completely privately funded despite an estimate from the project’s contractor that claimed taxpayers are footing more than half of the $600 million bill.

Key Facts

Trump on Friday said he was “grateful” for the Supreme Court’s decision, which temporarily blocked a court order against construction, and on Saturday morning bragged about the progress on the 90,000-square-foot White House addition.

He said “tremendous work has been done” and promised the project, which he has repeatedly said will cost $400 million, “will be paid for with ZERO Dollars of Taxpayer Money,” adding “ Great American Patriots and Companies are footing the entire bill,” he said.

The contractor overseeing the work, however, told the White House earlier this year the construction will cost $600 million and more than half of it will come from taxpayers, the Washington Post reported.

The Post’s reporting claimed the White House knew “the work was projected to rely heavily on taxpayer dollars from the moment it was announced,” including more than a dozen already-approved payments to Clark Construction totaling tens of millions of dollars in public funds.

Key background

Trump in July 2025 announced he would build a massive addition to the White House to serve as an event space capable of seating 650 people, reportedly complete with bomb shelters and major medical facilities. The addition is significantly larger than the entire existing White House, which was 55,000-square-feet at the time of the announcement, before Trump had the East Wing torn down to make way for the project. The project has drawn widespread criticism and prompted the National Trust for Historic Preservation to sue the White House, alleging the Trump administration doesn’t have the authority to build the ballroom without Congressional approval. Several orders have been issued in the lawsuit to stop construction while litigation is pending, but various appeals and lower court rulings have allowed it to continue. The Trust has argued allowing construction to go on risks the Trump administration being able to “outrun judicial review” and reach a point where the ballroom construction is too far along to be stopped, but the Trump administration has argued stopping construction could threaten national security and puts the uncompleted structure at risk of collapse.

BIG NUMBER

65%. That’s how much of the project has already been completed, the White House has said in recent court filings.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

The Supreme Court’s Friday decision allows construction on the ballroom to continue “pending further order” from the court. Chief Justice John Roberts did not give any indication as to when a more permanent decision could be announced.

WHAT WE DON’T KNOW

Who is actually paying for the ballroom. When it was first announced, Trump said it would cost $200 million but that estimate has since—at least—doubled. Trump has said private donations from contributors like Amazon, Apple, Meta, Coinbase and Lockheed Martin will be routed through a nonprofit to cover the addition’s entire cost. At other times, he’s said the Secret Service and the military will contribute security enhancements, without elaborating on the price of those upgrades, per the Post. Other communications have suggested over $100 million will come from taxpayers through the Secret Service and the White House Military Office.

further reading

ForbesSupreme Court Lets Trump’s Ballroom Construction Continue—For NowForbesTrump Administration Says It Doesn’t Matter If People Think White House Ballroom Is UglyForbesCocktails, Bomb Shelters, Very Strong Stone: Trump Raves About Ballroom As Crews Race To Build It

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *